Monday 7 February 2011

Julie Arkell

Last week I was asked about making dolls, and I thought some of you might be interested to hear about a workshop that I went to a couple of years ago in London with a textile artist called Julie Arkell, here are some photos:



Firstly, we made the papier mache dolls.  Then using scraps of material we created the clothes.  Some of the clothes were made by stitching fabric together and some were glued together.








The one that I made is on the far left - some of you might recognise the ears I think I know a sock monster who has ears like this! Here are some more of the things we made:






We also made some brooches from cardboard and scraps of wool:


The flower brooches were stitched together from small pieces of fabric




I hope you've enjoyed looking my photos, if you'd like to find out more about Julie Arkell put her name into google images.  She also has written a book about her work.  

Julie sells her dolls all over the world and some of them cost more than £100 each, but if you really like them, I know you can make one just as good yourself  .... have a go!

No comments: